Monday, April 28, 2008

Miss Moosie Has Arrived

Last year I saw a blurb in Spin Off about drop spindles made out of naturally shed Moose antlers. Being originally from Maine, land of many Moose, and Moose being one of my favorite animals, naturally I had to find out more. These gorgeous hand turned, one of a kind spindles are made by Jonathan and Sheila Bosworth of Journey Wheel in Acton, Massachusetts.
I went to their web site to order a spindle and found out that there was a waiting list. I added my name to the list and about six weeks ago, got an email that my Moosie was to be in the next group. I was so excited, it was all I could talk about at home for the last few weeks!
All through the process of making the spindle, Shelia would email updates and then finally pictures of the whorls. You choose which four you like the best, and in order of who emails back first with their requests, the spindles are assigned. Next we chose the wood for the spindle - I left this up to Sheila and she chose Bocote which has a stunning stripe pattern in it.
The finished Moosie arrived on Saturday with a sample of HOT PINK SPARKLY roving on it. Since Sheila and I have never met, I have no idea how she would know that hot pink is one of my most favorite colors and well, being much like a mag pie, I love anything sparkly.
Here is Miss Moosie:
She spins wonderfully! So wonderfully, that I couldn't stop spinning after using up the sample of roving:


Thank you Sheila and Jonathan!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Lara, I think the reason that I knew you'd like a glitzy hot pink is that I'm from Saco (also in Maine). Obviously we are twins separated at birth, but able to telecommunicate our preferences to one another.

Enjoy your new spindle "enormoosely"!

Spinning Lara said...

Too funny, I grew up in Hollis! Looking forward to meeting you at MDSW Saturday!

Dana said...

The spindle is beautiful and the story behind it makes it all the better. Miss Moosie is definitely a treasure. :)

Marianne said...

Awww, Miss Moosie is a Beauty!
I agree with Dana, that's a sweet story and what is it about those who wait, it's all well worth it!
Congrats!...and have a wonderful time at MDSW!!!